The Community Engagement and Outreach position HAS BEEN FILLED!
A note from Sarita Persaud who is transitioning out of this roll:
Dance Wire supports a culture of mutual respect through open conversation and a commitment to the bigger picture. Working with such a small tight-knit team helped me to grow both as a professional and a person. If you are community minded, mission driven, and creative you will thrive with Dance Wire. This role needs someone who is comfortable meeting new people, who sees value in connection and community, and who is able to communicate clearly and directly. Expect to play a vital role in the organization’s growth and for no two days to be the same. Dance Wire provides a work environment that is supportive, flexible, and fun, and yes… you will probably be asked to dance!
Part-time 20 hours a week – with room to expand position to full-time as we recover from the pandemic! At least two full or partial weekdays in person at our office, you can work remotely for the remaining hours if preferred.
Office Location: 3121 SW Moody Ave (free parking and very close to Max, street car, and bus stops).
Base salary of $18,000-20,000/year + bonuses paid out semi-annually as funds allow
- Flexible work schedule with ability to work from home and set preferred hours
- Two weeks paid vacation and occasional planned technology breaks
- Paid sick and family/pet sick time (within reason)
- Occasional comp tickets to shows
As a small team, every role at Dance Wire is included in the visioning process for the organization and actively contributes to the organizations growth. This position is primarily responsible for talking to people within the dance community about their work, recruiting new members to join the Dance Wire network, maintaining our member database, and building out the listings in our Directories (business, dancer, venue, production). The role balances technology-based work on multiple online platforms with direct communication with dancers and organizations within the community.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provide customer service to existing and potential members
- Develop relationships with potential new members
- Contact lapsed members to encourage renewal and/or get feedback about why they decided not to renew
- Approve and edit events, directory listings, job posts as needed on our WordPress website
- Work on expanding member benefits (ideas welcome!)
- Support general Dance Wire activities (strategy sessions, visioning) and participate in Dance Wire events
- Research jobs and opportunities to be posted to the job board
- Occasional posting to social media
- Attend a wide variety of dance events
Ideal candidate profile:
- Has done and/or is currently engaged in equity and inclusion work
- Is highly organized
- Demonstrates professionalism including: punctuality, reliability, responsibility
- Follows directions yet is able to work independently
- Has customer service skills and experience
- Communicates directly and with respect
- Is an innovative problem-solver
- Is creative
- Is an active listener
- Is not afraid of change and can work in an environment where things shift regularly
- Is enthusiastic about this particular job
- Wants to invest in the position and stay with the company long term
Bonus points if:
- you are already familiar with Dance Wire or do your research to get to know Dance Wire and our role and offerings
- you are familiar with WordPress, Airtable, Calendly, Microsoft Teams, and/or Canva
- you are already involved in the dance community in some capacity
- you plan to stay in Portland for 5 years or longer
Perks of the job:
- free and discounted tickets to shows
- a schedule that both allows and encourages you to be active in the dance community
- opportunity to learn and grow with a rapidly expanding organization
- local and national connections with high profile dance artists and administrators
Our work environment is relaxed but we have A LOT to get done with a teeny tiny staff. We are also growing and changing regularly, which comes with some growing pains. Being flexible and able to adapt quickly is critical. Our communication style in the workplace is direct and respectful.
Everyone at Dance Wire is expected to:
- Bring honesty, integrity, trustworthiness to all professional relationships
- Speak with respect of companies, teachers, choreographers, dancers, and Dance Wire
- Avoid negative responses, judgmental statements, gossip, directing blame, or spreading rumors within the dance community
- Rely on the facts if a disagreement or conflict arises and remains neutral
Dance Wire is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, or sexual orientation.
Process: THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
More about us? Check out this visual – GET TO KNOW DANCE WIRE VISUAL